Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Another Update on Pottersville (WIP)

Hey, everyone!

The last time I posted, I said that I was very close to finishing Pottersville but still needed to do tweaking and other things before I could release it. This is why I haven't been posting of late. I've literally been so busy fixing and tweaking Pottersville that I haven't had time to update what I've been up to on this blog.

The very close to being completed Pottersville.

For example, over the weekend I found a handful of houses I had forgotten to complete, so I had to go back in and finish them. It's very easy for this to happen in a world this large with so many lots. What happens is that you start on some houses, quit building for whatever reason, drop them with the intent of going back to them later, and then forgot that you never finished them until you're checking the world. Part of the reason why you forget them is that sometimes you may have completed the outside so that you spend weeks looking at this thing thinking it's completed. Then you go into it in build mode and oops, the entire inside is still unfinished.

Annoying, I know, but it happens, which is why it's always important to go full on OCD double and triple checking your world for any mishaps before you release it. In any event, I finally completed those houses yesterday (whew!), and I couldn't be happier right now:

One of the houses I forgot to complete but
finally finished.

Right now, I'm making the rounds putting in name and lot descriptions in EIG. This doesn't seem like much but when creating worlds, I like to add in some "story" so that as users read lot descriptions, they get little historical tidbits about the city and some of the families in it. So, I really try to put some thoughtfulness into the descriptions.

After I complete all of that, this will be the next order of business.

  1. Creating two more households for Pottersville (one of them will be a really unconventional weird family that I'm sure you'll really dig)
  2. Importing families
  3. Play testing one last time to make sure everything is working and I'm not missing anything vital (like spawners).
  4. And voila! I'll be done.

After I officially release Pottersville, I have some future projects coming up, which are as follows:

A Lite and Possibly IP Version of Pottersville

Pottersville is a very large world (over 200 lots), so I'm a little concerned about how it might run on some computers. Because of this issue, I'm considering putting out a "Lite" version of the world. Unfortunately, that will mean knocking out some of the lots. However, what I might do is offer the missing lots as standalone downloads so people don't feel as if they're missing out. Seems fair, no?

Another thing I'm thinking of doing is putting out an IP version of Pottersville...just not right now. The reason why I sound hesitant is that I only just got Island Paradise, so I don't know enough about the EP to make the most out of it. So, before I even do an IP version, I'll have to play more of the game to get a feel for it.

Remastering of Previously Built Worlds

Something that's definitely in the works will be a complete remastering of my previous worlds, Oceanview, Riverside and Sim Acres. By remastering, I mean redesigning of apartment layouts, addition of new lots as well as better terrain painting. I think when you see the before/after of the remasters, you'll be shocked beyond belief.

Standalone House and Family Downloads

Not everyone is keen on downloading worlds, so something I'm thinking about is releasing some of my favorite lots and families from Oceanview, Riverside and Sim Acres as standalone downloads. 

At any rate, thanks for hearing me out and thank you very much for your patience. I've been burning the midnight oil on this world for weeks now, and I assure you that the official release is fastly approaching, pinkie swear!


 


No comments:

Post a Comment