Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Will Update My Other Worlds; First Stop: Oceanview

I've been building worlds for a very long time, and have come a long way since building my first world, Oceanview. So, after finishing up Pottersville, I am going to go back into my older worlds and improve them.


The biggest issue right now with these older worlds are apartment layouts. There's a way that you're supposed to lay out your hidden rooms to force the outside walls of apartments to stay up. I didn't realize this until working on Pottersville. It's not really a big deal--more a cosmetic issue--but it's one of those things that has always bugged me when I play my worlds. It doesn't feel as if you're playing inside of an apartment building, especially in "Cutaway Walls Mode." The reason why is that when the walls collapse in that mode, you don't get a sense that there is a hallway outside the sims' apartment.

On top of all this, I admit that I wasn't that good with apartment layouts and decor when I first started building, so a few of them really leave a lot to be desired. Some are just way too big or oddly laid out or not as nicely decorated as they should have been.

Another thing I found annoying: sims living in apartment buildings not being able to own small vehicles (likes bikes, scooters, etc.) or if they had a car, having no place to park them. It especially drove me crazy to not have a bike rack anywhere that a sim could use, and I regretted not placing any at any of my Downtown buildings.

Another problem? Spiral staircases. I had no idea that staircases were stackable until this year (DERP!)! So, whenever I used them in builds, I would place them at either ends of a room, when I could've just stacked them.

Last problem? Terrain paints and landscaping. They're not bad in the older worlds, but there has always been room for improvement, so I'm definitely going to go back in and try to make everything look more polished.

These are the main issues I'll be fixing in the near future. The first world I'll update is Oceanview, followed by Riverside and Sim Acres. You are free right now to download them but as I'm coming out with brand new revamped versions, it might be better to wait until I get these new versions out.

3 comments:

  1. Are you releasing Pottersville after you revise the others?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I will release Pottersville before I revise the others, so no one waiting for it thinks I've abandoned or am delaying the project.

      Delete